Friday, May 7, 2010

Naked Truth Number One: Traps that Stop Your Home from Selling in Tough Markets!

I use the term 'Naked Truth' in the title of this blog because, grievously, I don't see the candor I would want, were I in need of a broker, and not a licensed real estate broker. Someone needs to shoot straight with you, the home seller!

So let me tell you the first horrible truth about selling your home:

NAKED TRUTH NUMBER ONE: It doesn't matter what you think! Ouch!

I have walked hundreds (if not thousands) of prospects through homes. Here is a list of things they NEVER SAY (look closely and you'll see traps that ENSURE your home won't sell!):

I wonder how much they have in it?
Is this where their kids grew up?
This is definitely worth paying 20% above market price!
Let's pay them as much as we possibly can!
It has lots of repairs left undone, let's offer full price!
Oh look at that clean, outdated, worn carpet. Blue and I love it!
Firetruck red, navy blue, and endearing black walls in the teenagers' rooms...terrific!

Think through these comments carefully and you will see there are underlying mental assumptions made by the Seller that, while important to you, have no bearing at all on what the market wants. The market doesn't lie, either. The question is really, 'Can you emotionally handle the Truth?'

Okay, now I'll give the answers in plain English.
It does not matter how much money you have in the house. The market does not care.
Your Sentimental value does not translate to market value!
What you think your upgrades are worth is irrelevant. You aren't buying them, the Buyer is!
The Price you want to get matters to no one else.
The little dings, scratches, and dry rot have a DEVASTATING effect on Sales Price.
Your color tastes, and worn out carpet make Buyers' skin CRAWL.
Paint the walls neutral colors. You are MOVING, for crying out loud! The teenagers won't die from a change in paint color.

Want to know more? Just ask, I will shoot straight with you! I'm like the Factory Five Racing GTM 200 shown above. Fast and efficient! (Check out www.FactoryFive.com)

I will tell you other Naked Truths, about broker tactics you should avoid, (or pay thousands of dollars too much if you don't!).

You ask it, I'll answer.
Scott McDonald
Keep Moving Forward!
Scott McDonald Realty

No comments:

Post a Comment