Friday, May 7, 2010

Should I spend money to replace the carpet, or offer a credit to the Buyer?

"I could spend thousands replacing carpet, but doesn't it make more sense to just provide a Buyer flooring credit? After all, what if the Buyer doesn't like the color I choose? I don't want to gamble on THAT much money!", comes your anguished cry, reverberating through cyperspace.

(I feel your pain, really, I do. Now get ready to feel some more pain!)

In my ever so tender literary style, I will cautiously guide you to enlightenment....Not.

Let's take a few steps back from that pile of money you don't want to spend in order to sell your house. Breathe deeply, exhale, and listen, er... read.

Has the question you are asking EVER been asked before? Answer: Yes!
HOW MANY TIMES? Answer: Thousands of time every day in America!
Is there likely to be a definitive answer? (Really, think about it.) YES!

The answer is at least two fold: Is your house in top of the market condition, and do you want to get top of the market price for it, or at the very least sell the thing? If it is, and your desire is to get a 'Sold' sign on it, then, Yes, replace the carpet. Pick the most popular-selling neutral tone that matches your paint scheme, etc. This is option A.

Get ready to move, by the way.

Is your house 8 or lower on a 1 - 10 scale? If it is, are you prepared to take significantly less (10-20% below top of market), or risk the house not even selling at all in this down economy (RATHER than make repairs)? If your answer is 'Yes, I will take less or not sell rather than fix it up', then 'No, do not replace it, nor do any repairs, painting or fix up.'

If you chose option B, in this economy, take it off the market, because your house is not going to sell, since there are hundreds like it, but with fresh smelling, new carpet, modern paint, and no cracks in the sheetrock.

In another post, I will tell you the psychology of home buyers, and then you will know better why used carpet is a corpse on your living room floor!

Get ready to pay your property taxes, by the way, because you're not going anywhere.

Thanks for reading the Dr Phil of real estate!

PS: Won't someone please comment on my articles? I have won this information through arduous, gladiatorial combat with potential Sellers. Surely there's at least one of you out there who still disagrees with me? But then again, maybe it just makes more sense when one's own equity is not on the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment